This page on Microsoft web site contains the differences between 5 Microsoft Visual Studio editions, as below:
The prices for these 5 Microsoft Visual Studio editions are:
(all prices including VAT, from eCost Software 27/2/11, rounded to nearest GBP)
- Professional with MSDN Essentials £694
- Professional with MSDN Subscription £954
- Premium £3,695
- Ultimate £10,230
- Test Professional £1,954
A few important things to notice (beside the prices) are:
- All 5 editions includes SQL Server 2008. It’s for development only, not for production, but we buy VS for development purpose anyway.
- The Professional and Test Professional editions don’t not include DB dev/testing stuff. In particular you can’t generate test data.
- Only Premium and Ultimate include Microsoft Office.
- All editions except #1 includes Team Foundation stuff e.g. VSS, build automation, team portal & reporting, BUT you need to buy TFS server licence (£378) and TFS CAL (£339/user)